West Sussex Guitar Festival 2016
West Sussex Guitar Club is pleased to announce that the Seventeenth Annual West Sussex Guitar Festival, incorporating the West Dean Scholarship Competition, will take place over the weekends of 5/6th and 12/13th November, 2016.
West Sussex Guitar Festival aims..
- To promote appreciation and enjoyment of music in the community through the art of the Classical Guitar.
- To provide an open forum for students, teachers and admirers of Classical Guitar.
- To encourage the appreciation and awareness of different learning and teaching methods .
- To create a platform for performers of every level and age.
- To enable participants to demonstrate achievement in the mastery of Classical guitar, to perfect performing skills and to share music with new audiences.
- To help participants meet new challenges by engaging in fair competition.
- To encourage appreciation and respect for achievement in the art of music making.
- To facilitate development of new audiences in the field of Classical Music.
The Festival is initiated, supported and managed by the West Sussex Guitar Club and the Regis School of Music.
- Junior classes November 5th & 6th, 2016
- West Dean Scholarship Competition Sunday November 6th, 2016
- Senior classes November 12th & 13th, 2016
- Composition/Arrangement classes (Junior & Senior) Sunday November 13th, 2016
Click here for the syllabus
Click here for the entry form
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read PDF files. Acrobat reader is available free from Adobe's web site
Performers are asked not to repeat the same piece if entered in more than one class and to observe time limits for performances.
All the Festival events will take place at:
The Regis School of Music
46 Sudley Road
Tel: 01243 866462
Amanda Cook (Juniors)
Amanda is one of the leading guitarists of her generation. As well as numerous performances in this country she has performed and given master classes in the USA, South America and throughout Europe. In addition to solo work, Amanda is a member of the critically acclaimed Vida Guitar Quartet who regularly tour the USA and Europe. They have released several CDs on the BGS label. Amanda teaches privately, regularly adjudicates music festivals in the UK and has sat on the jury for several International Competitions including the most prestigious Guitar Foundation of America
Mark Ashford (Seniors)
Mark is currently Head of Guitar at the Birmingham Conservatoire of Music and Director of the youth ensemble NYGE UK. From 2003-09 he was Course Director at IGF-Bath. Mark has a wealth of experience teaching both children and adults, from beginners to degree level. He is a very committed teacher and regularly gives masterclasses at International Festivals and Conservatoires of Music. He has also been made an Associate of the Royal Academy of Music in recognition of his achievements in the music profession. Along with his solo performances Mark is also a member of the Vida Guitar Quartet.
West Sussex Guitar Club in association with West Dean College is proud to announce that the Seveteenth West Sussex Guitar Festival will once again feature the WSGF West Dean Scholarship Competition.
Awarded to the most promising young person playing at Grade VI standard or above, the Scholarship Competition winner will receive non-residential attendance at the West Dean International Guitar Festival and Summer School 2017 courtesy of West Dean College.
The Summer School is a six-day guitar event that provides superb learning opportunities for all levels. Repertoire and technique classes form the core of the programme, with additional ensembles and a guitar orchestra. Students also receive individual lessons and attend public recitals by visiting artists.
The Scholarship is open to any young person who will be 15 years or older at the time of the summer school (August 2017), and under 18 years at the time of the competition (November 2016)
The winner will be selected by festival adjudicator Mark Ashford.
For more information about West Dean College, call 01243 811301 or email www.westdean.org.uk/site/arts/music/music/CGF.htm. Alternatively, visit
Rules of WSGF Scholarship Competition
- 1. The Scholarship will comprise non-residential attendance by the successful candidate at the West Dean International Guitar Festival and Summer School held at West Dean in August 2017
- 2. The competition will be held during the West Sussex Guitar Festival Junior Day on Sunday 6th November 2016.
- 3. The candidate shall play two or more contrasting pieces, of Grade VI or above. The programme will last up to 7 minutes. The music chosen shall be of a classical nature.
- 4. The candidate must also participate in the West Sussex Guitar Festival by entering in one or more of the solo classes.
- 5. The age of the candidate shall be 15 - 18 at the time of the West Dean International Guitar Festival and Summer School (August 2017).
- 6. The West Sussex Guitar Club (WSGC) will organise the Award Competition on behalf of West Dean College. The scholarship will be awarded by the Panel including Senior Day Festival Adjudicator and a representative of West Dean College.
- 7. The Adjudicator will select a winner and a runner-up. The runner-up will receive £200 towards attending the West Dean Guitar Festival. The runner up will receive the full scholarship in the event that the winning candidate is unable to attend.
- 8. The winner of the previous year's competition will not be eligible to enter the competition in the following year.